About Us    |    Our History    |    Amenities    |    Dog Friendly    |    Contact Us
Camden Maine Area History
Glenmoor by the Sea was established in the 1950's by Arthur and Blanche Smart** as the Smart Motor Court. The development of the property started with the main lodging facilities (now used as the Glenmoor's office, lobby and breakfast room). The Highland Cottages and the Seagate building incorporated a drive-up motel design that became popular with growing use of the automobile for vacation excursions following World War II. Eventually the property name was shortened to the Smarts' Motel (see the popular post card from the 1960's).

The MacDiarmid family subsequently purchased the property and renamed it Glenmoor by the Sea Resort and Cottages. They operated the Glenmoor very successfully and developed it into a full-fledged resort with a very loyal clientele. In 1999, under their ownership, the "Breakers Cottages" were added near the waterfront along with the lower pool. Additional renovations were made in 2006 throughout all of the rooms.

The property was purchased by the current owners in the spring of 2011 and was immediately renovated throughout. All of the guest rooms and cottages were redone with new interior finishes and furnishings. The lower pool was upgraded and the waterfront deck with stairs to the water was completely redesigned and expanded. The grounds were landscaped with new shrubs and flowers and the fabulous vista and waterfront views were enhanced with selective clearing and pruning. New management also re-introduced a generous continental breakfast for guests in the renovated office building and guest center. Also added to the lobby for guest use are a desktop PC and printer along with free Wi-Fi internet access and a library of local guides and museum references.

**As additional background, the Smart extended family has a long history in the Mid Coast region of Maine. One of their more distinguished family members is Ephraim Knight Smart (1813-1872). He was born in Searsport (just north of Lincolnville) and served as a U.S. Congressman from Maine in the latter 1840's and early 1950's. He initially practiced law in Camden and was appointed its postmaster at age 25. He then became a Maine state representative and senator before running for the US congress. Later, he established and edited a regional newspaper, The Maine Free Press, starting in 1854. He ran for governor in 1860, continued in the state senate and is buried in the Mountain Street Cemetery in Camden. It is not known yet whether Arthur Smart is a descendant of Ephraim Smart and research is currently underway on the Smart family genealogy.


207-236-7905 | 855-706-7905

2143 Atlantic Highway, Route 1
Lincolnville, Maine
04849 United States